From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 2009 07:44:45 -0500
Greetings

Many Bee-L users wrote to say that Bee-L was as important to them as Gleanings and the
ABJ. I would just like to suggest that Gleanings and ABJ are as important as Bee-L so any
of you out there that don't already subscribe to one or more of the mags, get with it!

Meanwhile

> The effect of repeated vibration signals on worker behavior

> As a signaler moves through the colony, she contacts and vibrates hundreds of
individual workers, but her signals are preferentially directed toward less active bees of
all ages. The performance of vibration signals on multiple different workers distributed
throughout large areas of the nest can simultaneously influence a broad spectrum of
colony activities that must be adjusted to changes in colony food intake and energy
needs. Second, an individual recipient may receive vibration signals repeatedly during a
given period of time. The function of this repetition is unknown, but it could affect
recipient behavior in at least two ways. First, it could cause cumulative increases in
activity. Vibrated recipients show slight, significant increases in juvenile hormone titers,
which may contribute to greater task performance by altering metabolic rates and
response thresholds. Some workers may require repeated vibration signals to initiate a
level of task performance that other recipients can achieve with only one signal. Or, an
individual bee may need to be vibrated repeatedly to maintain task performance if its
response to each signal is low or decays rapidly, whereas other recipients may require
fewer signals to maintain similar levels of activity.

The effect of repeated vibration signals on worker behavior
Tuan T. Cao, et al
Behav Ecol Sociobiol (2009) 63:521–529