Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 08:19:43 -0500
Since 'organic' here in the US is about to become a legal term (and
not an intuitive one)  does anyone have the legal description  of
organic honey.  I did a quick search and scan of the 550 page
document on USDA's webpage but could not find a reference to honey
(and I admit that I only spent half an hour doing so and since it was
the middle of the night, made no phone calls to people at USDA or to
independent certifiers).

This is an issue of some importance.  For a living, I grow organic
vegetables and come October when the regulations go into effect, my
vegetables will be certified. To get vegetables certified organic is
a clear process with strict do's and don'ts.  However, while I have
no intention of wading the bog of confusion to get the honey my dozen
hives produce certified organic, it would be nice to have clear
guidelines on the issue.