From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jan 2009 12:11:11 -0500
Hi again

According to my understanding, Nosema apis was often found in colonies with
"dysentery" but there is no causal relationship between these. As I posted a
few minutes ago, severe infections of Nosema apis may show no visible
symptoms at all. My logic is that if insects infected with Nosema generally
spread spores throughout their nests, then it would be safe to assume that
the same would occur with Nosema ceranae in bees. This is one of the reasons
why so many people have been recommending acetic fumigation or replacement
of combs. Granted, the effects of N. c. may appear differently than N. a.,
but it does not necessarily follow that the mode of transmission would be
different. As it is spore forming and highly contagious, it would be logical
to assume that the hives would be a source of infection, the same as was
concluded by Bailey regarding N. a. Again, I am not sure what difference it
makes, because if the bees are still sick, it won't help much to put them on
sterile combs.

--
Peter L Borst
Danby, NY  USA