From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 11:46:04 -0500
On 20 Mar 98 at 4:14, Ivan McGill wrote:

> Does anyone know if there is a queen rearing discussion group on the
> web?

I agree with Aaron, let's get one started. The only problem, I find
the Bee-L is becoming just a freebie question service, as most take
their answers offline!!
        We have had one or two ideas put up on various methods which the
individuals are planning. But, and it's a big BUT, nobody has
mentioned what they plan to do about mating all these queens they're
going to raise.
        A little math will tell you the problem. If you plan just 20 Queens
per week, and that's not a lot. Then if each mating requires on
average 15+ drones, that means 300+ every week. Without some method
of drone increase the average good yard will not supply that amount
consistently. In which case, of course, mating will suffer.
        Add the that the lack of feral hives, and the problem becomes
greater.
        Comments welcomed!

The Bee Works,9 Progress Drive, Unit 2,
Orillia,Ontario. L3V 6H1. Canada.