From:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2007 15:52:17 +0100
Hi Peter

Changing the subject a little...

 > (median volume = 45 liters*)

 > * Believe it or not, this is the size of the Langstroth hive! An
 > ordinary hive body set on a bottom board has a capacity of about 2730
 > cubic inches or 45 liters.

Similarly the size of BS brood chamber, although smaller in volume than
a Langstroth one, is perfectly suited to the bees that it was designed
to house (AMM), I would have expected in Langstroth's time that there
was still a high proportion of AMM genes in US bees, as the deliberate
selection against them was mainly throughout the 1900s, so would the box
have been too big at the time of inception ?

I have been lead to understand that the Langstroth box was based on the
size of available candle boxes or champagne crates rather than any
experiments as to suitability.

Regards & Best 73s, Dave Cushman, G8MZY
http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman or http://www.dave-cushman.net
Short FallBack M/c, Build 6.02/3.1 (stable)