From:
Robert Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2017 08:29:11 -0400
On 12-Oct-17, at 8:59 PM, don coats wrote:

> So, reliance on a higher standard of management practices and
> hygienic care
> might result if antibiotics were banned in US as they are in Europe.

Hi Don & All

I am late with my feeding and treatments this autumn due to the heavy
goldenrod flow in late September and daily rain now.  I completed my
mitewipe treatment in August but haven't started oxytet.  I remember
the professional apiarist warning us not to use prophylactic oxytet
treatments if only capped brood is found in a colony, as AFB is a
larval disease.  I  checked for brood as I stripped each hive and
found lots  of capped brood but almost no open larvae.  If we in North
America could abandon prophylactic oxytet treatments en masse and burn
the AFB breakouts, we will eventually get the low level of breakouts
as experienced elsewhere.

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada