From:
montveil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 2008 11:36:47 -0400
Juanse Barros wrote:
> Hi everyone, specially Mr Bayer
>
> I was noticed today that tomorrow a neigbouring Apple field will spray SEVIN
> XLR plus from Bayer. This is a carbamate insecticide

Sevin XLR Plus has a sticker that reduces contact with bees.
The Bees should not be on apple trees as there are no blossoms on them
at this time of the year.
HOWEVER,  if there are blooming plants/weeds in the spray area bees may
be visiting them.  Check with the neighbor and see if there are blooming
plants in the spray area.
It will give you a good chance to explain to him insecticide effects on
your bees. There are two solutions to orchard weeds. One is to spray the
orchard floor with 24-D to eliminate the weeds and it will also hold
over until next season, and/or two mow the orchard before spraying
insecticides if blooming weeds are present.
WHEN YOU APPROACH HIM DO IT IN AN INFORMATIVE MANNER AND NOT IN A
CONFORMATIONAL WAY.
Gain a friend as he undoubtedly does not want to harm your bees as they
are his workers during pollination
Cooperation and education is the key

Dan Veilleux in the NC mountains