From:
Eric Abell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 1997 08:59:52 -0600
At 10:14 AM 09/07/97 EDT, you wrote:
>Hi Curtis
>A standard cut 1" X 10" is now 3/4" X 9 1/2". Many beekeepers ??? use
>this size to make brood boxes with as it is less expensive than buying a
>1" X 12" (3/4" X 11 1/2")

It makes no sense to spend extra money on 1 x 12 and then throw away 20% of
the lumber.  You might be able to find lumber that is planned (planed) on
only 3 sides or try this idea.

For years I have made my supers out of 1 x 8 lumber.  Cheap, easy to obtain.
I make each side out of 2 parts, being certain to stagger the joints.  I
make the final cut to depth after assembly.  To cut and assemble takes a
little more time but it is more than compensated for by the reduced price of
the materials.  This also produces very little waste wood.

Eric

Eric Abell
Gibbons, Alberta Canada T0A 1N0
Ph/fax (403) 998 3143