From:
"E.t. Ash" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2017 06:10:51 -0400
a Jerry Bromenshenk followed > by my question (not related to human health hazards and my comments...

 In that case, fumagillin would not be an antibiotic - so it  depends on how the word is defined.  FDA just tosses the term out as if everyone should know that  they only mean.....

> Every profession does this and in english composition it is call jargon.... nucs, shb afb, ahb all are common beekeepers used jargon.

Still, any agency who doesn't understand (or acknowledge) that the listed antibiotics are used to control two foul broods, not just AFB, and then uses a picture of a drone fly and calls it a bee, can't exactly be known for accuracy.  AFB is a mandatory burn order in many states, but not all.  Most of us would just burn, given that there is an antibiotic (TM) resistant foul brood.

> question for Jerry or whomever.  It is my understanding that TM is used to control EFB but will suppress (temporary) signs of AFB? It is also my current understanding that TM will disrupt the flora in a bee gut which may lead to early death of older worker bees?

The big question that is being interpreted in different ways by different states and even by different animal groups, is whether antibiotics can be used prophylatically.  That's of particular concern for the productivity of commercial apiaries with respect to EFB.  That discussion, and the interpretation, varies from state to state.

>The most highly noted case of this in in the chicken business.  Given their volume of business antibiotic resistance has show up and there is a move by producers and suppliers to remove antibiotics from chicken production.  I don't know if this is or is not a good idea but I do suspect moving to an era when antibiotics are ineffective due to overuse is not something to look forward too.  Finally I would suggest if you ever read the label on TM in regards to it use on bees my best guess is few beekeepers actually ever 'kept' to the label instruction.

Gene in Central Texas