From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 1996 17:31:30 -0400
  REGARDING           RE> Federal Funds

Steve Albritton wrote:
>With all the problems of low bee populations, I wonder if the Federal Gov.
has any programs to help begining beekeepers.  I started with two hives this
year and plan to expand next year.  This can be expensive and will be done
slowly  unless there is some type of program available.<

I think that US federal programs are heading in the exact opposite direction.
The government is looking for ways to curtail spending, not for new programs
to fund.  However, a few suggestions on what is usually available:
1) Most (if not all) states have an extension service, run through the land
grant colleges (probably LSU in your area, although that is only a guess) that
are administered by local county offices.  There is often a wealth of
information available, as well as advice on local beekeepers to contact and
local bee organizations to join.
2) Also look for beekeeping supply outlets (check http://s12.bigyellow.com/ on
the internet, looking under BEEKEEPERS SUPL for local addresses).  Often they
will have bulletin boards with listings of used supplies, which can often be
had at a good price.
3) Keep looking at BEE-L.  You will find contacts here who might want to sell
or trade things, especially if you find someone locally.  Most of my equipment
has been accumulated over the years from fellow beekeepers, especially those
wanting to retire.

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan, USA