From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 17:05:58 -0600
Well, we decided to test for mites before applying treatment, on the off-chance
we could save some $$$, and here's what we learned:

First tried natural mite drop, using 6 mesh hardware cloth over Permadent
foundation sheets sprayed with PAM.  On 40 hives (doubles), over a 4 day period,
we found one mite on one board.

We then re-inserted clean boards and placed two Apistan(R) strips into the upper
brood box and waited 24 hours.  At that time this is what we found.

Hive #          Natural Drop                  Count with Apistan
9               1 mite                        0 mites
15              0                             1
9               0                             1
14              0                             1
5               0                             2
29              0                             14
31              0                             1
32              0                             6
33              0                             7
24              0                             15
27              0                             1
28              0                             1
37              0                             1
Total           1 mite                        51 mites

Plus one wierd little bug with a long proboscis.

All hives not shown had zero counts in both tests.

What does this mean, David?

allen
-----
See if your questions have been answered in over a decade of discussions.
BEE-L archives & more: http://listserv.albany.edu/archives/bee-l.html
Search sci.agriculture.beekeeping at http://www.deja.com/
or visit http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee to access both on the same page.