From:
Joel Govostes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 1997 07:10:39 -0500
A few years ago I had a yard several miles up on the west side of Cayuga
Lake, and there were several fields of Canola nearby.  It was wonderful to
see the supers filling up so fast in May.

I knew the honey had a tendency to granulate, but at the time I didn't
fully appreciate how much.  I removed the supers all nicely capped in June,
and sure enough, the combs were like BRICKS.  Hardly a drop could be
removed.

It took a couple of seasons of supering and  using the combs under needy
hives to get all the canola honey cleaned out.  So if you see bright yellow
fields of canola blossoms in spring, make sure you keep an eye on the bees
-- super them up plenty early, and get the crop off soon, as Donald has
described.

Our usual quick-granulating honey here in NY is aster, but even when it is
crystallized in the comb one can usually get at least a portion of it out
by extracting.  The canola, on the other hand, sets solid.

Cheers,

JWG
Freeville, NY