From:
Dave Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2008 14:09:41 -0400
More tales from the front
Well some good news for a change
My first inspection a few days ago
Let me recap population changes,
it'll illustrate my points

Fall06  N:10 + 6  S:10  (hives + winter nucs)
Spr07   N:4 + 5    S:0   (really 6, killed late supercede)
Fall07  N:12 + 12  S:8   (S repopulated with own boxes, SO2)
Spr08   N:8  + 11  S:7   (no supplimental heat for nucs)

Those rated very good
VG08   N: 6  + 3 or 4  S:5
Clearly few of these absconded

The deadouts had ccd like symptoms

Better bees than I"ve seen for a few years

S got 2 treatments FA and OA(v), made no honey of course
N had inadequate VD control (1 FA, 1 OA), late winter a 2nd OA
I already have 6 pads on in case it was too late
Probably these VG started laying early Mar

Clearly nucs withstand ccd winter loss better

Whether FA is a treatment or it's a severe lack of VD
for these results is a good question, I think both

After all I still see physical symptoms without difficulty,
but this may be carryover from 07

Still it's less than 20% loss, breed up from (not many) sick bees
I likely do NOT have nosema, this is another factor

Since I will never be rid of X, I am forced to breed
from my own for a bit, I wanted a bit more russian
since they seem a bit more resistant.
However bees first exposed to X seem have little innate
resistance (IMO), after some months crash
Will this matter, or are the genes the thing?

It sure would be good to know how the infection works
so as to know where to attack it.
BTW ants are back at S, not many yet

dave