From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 2015 07:15:57 -0400
> I haven't experienced the high losses that some Ontario beekeepers south of me have, but I have a hard time equating their high losses to malnutrition alone.   We all seek the truth here.

Well, I have. And so have a lot of others in my region of NY state. There is almost zero farming in this neck of the woods. In fact, it's mostly woods and our main honey plants are wild shrubs and trees. The thing upstate NY and Ontario and this region in general has in common is cold winters.

They have been exacerbated the past couple of years by the freezing over of the Great Lakes, which creates an enormous cold sink,-- which keeps the temperatures cold well into spring. You look at a map of losses last winter and the worst losses were clustered around the Great Lakes.

When you say "we all seek the truth here," you are being optimistic. I think a lot of people are trying to find somebody to blame for their problems, and don't really care to tease out the truth.

PLB