From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2013 16:04:07 -0500
> Would the invasion of the AHB from the south not be an exception where
natural selection in some areas is definitely favouring the new genes,
and quite rapidly?

This is where it gets tough. Is a man-created invasion the same as natural propagation of species across the globe? Where does our influence begin and end? Conservationalists would certainly point to the fact that AHB was introduced into So America. But then strict conservationalists would say that the EHB was introduced into the Americas too.

But if you buy into the invasive species concept, you have to buy into the existence of some sort of non-human paradise which may have existed once upon a time, but which exists nowhere now. One man's invasive species is another's natural resource. When a white American starts calling another species "invasive", I have to chuckle a bit.

PLB