From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jun 2009 12:46:09 -0500
> Bee blowers are great for getting a stubborn, seemingly-out smoker
> belching, too -- almost as good as a drive down the freeway.
 Smokers:

Several years ago I lost one of my best workers to Kona Queen in Hawaii.
When he returned he told me the way Kona did their smokers. I have been
using their method ever since. I light the smokers once in the morning and
sometimes the smoker is still burning (in the truck smoker box) the next
day. I am not kidding!

Kona Queen has around 20 plus workers at the peak of the season. One
employee on arrival at work fills all the smokers with wood pellets ( used
in wood stoves) and hooks the smokers to a propane line to light the
pellets.

Once you see some of the pellets will glow red when the smoker is pumped the
smoker is ready. This is important because  if the smoker (with wood
pellets) goes out in the field the pellets are hard to light.

A screen (beekeeper provided used by me and not Kona) on top of the pellets
is a safety element because I felt  if a smoker is tipped some hot coals
could fall out
in the grass or in a hive and might cause a fire. Anyway I felt might happen
so made a screen ( took a couple minutes a screen).

bob