From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 2015 11:18:04 -0500
"Margins of fields are disappearing, by the way. You have to hope that your
area doesn't see an increase in the high-efficiency crop machinery that is
able to plant crops right up to the asphalt."

Fortunatly this is a completely untrue statement.  Not sure where you get
information,  but its an often parroted out and out lie.  The amount of
acerage used for row crops in the US has been on a steady decline for a long
time.  Unfortuntaly no one seems to look at all the charts....

I am working on an article on this and many other misconceptions spread
about farming.  Once its ready I will be glad to share completely,  right
now it's a draft.

Just so you know,  your in good company,  most bee guys make this same
claim.....  Funny is so totally wrong and easily checked.  Yup fencerow
vanished,  and watrerways expanded,  simple if you get your eyes of the
chart that shows the increase in corn,  and notice the decrease in cotton or
beans.

You have some queens on their third seasons.  What percentage of your queens
live that long? (And a separate question:  Why are you keeping them that
long when so many beekeeping gurus are telling us to re-queen every year?)
I'm pretty sure your percentage of 3 yr queens is lower than it would have
been "back in the day".

I have taken a different tact,  I don't blame bad queens for everything, and
I am not looking constantly for that ever increasing hive.  I want great
numbers in spring,  but not in July.   I am also still small enough I can do
that.

Charles