From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 18:14:13 -0400
Recent post:
I got started with NZ packages and used them to supplement losses as
necessary. I now find local breeders can supply requirments. In my veiw
Canada is now independent from the need to source queens/packages
externally.

I think this post is incorrect although only my opinion.

We buy queens for one reason in Missouri and we have milder winters than
Canada. Lack of drones at mating time. We can produce plenty of queen cells
any time in the spring but our local queen breeders do not graft queens till
there are drones capped over and thats the absolute earliest time. When we
get cold and wet Aprils most queens don't get mated. We have (myself
included) have raised a few queens because this year is the warmest 12
months since record keeping in our area. I started my queens March 6th. this
year and 4 out of 5 are laying now. If i could count on success like that
every year then i wouldn't have to buy queens. I need queens a full month
earlier to produce a  decent honey crop. Do the math and i think Canada will
see it still needs outside queens. If Canada breeders have a solution to the
drone problem in spring please email as i would like to stop buying queens
although i am very satisfied with my out of state queen breeder.
If Canada is raising the queens in the fall and overwintering like Brother
Adam did then i understand but if raising queens in the spring i would think
the raising of queens would hurt the honey production because of the
extra month plus raising said queens.

Happy beekeeping!
Bob Harrison
Backwoods of Missouri,U.S.A.