From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 14:16:58 -0400
Robert MacKimmie wrote:

> is "common wisdom" that many people have through family tradition. On a good
> Saturday during peak allergy season, I have had as many as five people
> showing up at the Farmer's Market in San Francisco to get their allergy
> medicine refills. A blend from all hives in our local microclimates provide
> overall allergy relief that is somewhat more enjoyable than a shot in the
> rump.
>
> One woman said that she stopped taking the local blend honey and her
> allergies came back in about 3 weeks. We sell it suggesting a tablespoon a
> day. "They" say it works.

Here is an example of the classic difference between treatment based on the
scientific method and anecdotal remedies.  I, too, often get requests for honey
to use in allaying symptoms of hay fever.  People want it "raw", "unfiltered",
etc.  But is there any logic behind these requests?  What is the relation
between inhaling an antigen (which is picked up directly in the lungs by immune
cells) and ingesting a protein containing particle (pollen) which then
immediately goes into the digestive tract and is broken down into its basic
components before the body  is ever exposed to it?  I can't see the logic at
all.  And, even if it would work, why would one want to self-dose with an
antigen that could possibly kill you with a general allergic reaction?

I always flatly refuse any such requests on the basis that I cannot practice
medicine without a license.  On the other hand, if one wants to buy honey for
their own purposes, it is not my business to inquire what it is to be used for.

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan USA