From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 1997 13:12:39 -0500
On 11 Jan 97 at 22:39, BRIAN HENSEL wrote: Re: NOSEMA

>      Now after all this rain they were cooped up in their hive for
> weeks, and I have found little brown trails on the front entrance and
> sides of the hive. I also saw many bee's crawling around in front of the
> hive unable to fly. They will climb up the surrounding brush to die.
>      I have put their feeder back on with treated syrup. Everything I
> have been able to find in books and the Internet say to use Fumidil B.
> for the prevention of Nosema, but nothing about what to do when they
> have Nosema.

These are classic symtoms of Trachael mite. The inability to fly. My
experience of Nosema is, greasey, black bees which tend to die in the hive,
then get carried out by the young bees.
        With T-mite the bees will flow out from the hive and die outside the
hive. Cures? not much you can do at this late stage, perhaps add a crisco
pattie with wintergreen you might be able to save them.
        If I am wrong, then overdose with Fumidil will help. A long time ago I
had a bad case of Nosema, (long before T-mites) and cured it by tripling
Fumidil. FWIW

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive Unit 2, Orillia,
Ontario, Canada. L3V 6H1
David Eyre, Owner. Phone/Fax 705 326 7171
Agents for E.H.Thorne & B.J.Sherriff UK
http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks