Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 15:17:46 EST
In a message dated 98-03-23 11:49:37 EST, [log in to unmask] writes:

<<       A little math will tell you the problem. If you plan just 20 Queens
 per week, and that's not a lot. Then if each mating requires on
 average 15+ drones, that means 300+ every week. Without some method
 of drone increase the average good yard will not supply that amount
 consistently. In which case, of course, mating will suffer.

Speaking of drone numbers, does anyone know where to get drone fonudation.
I've called my favorite suppliers, and they don't have a clue.

Regarding methods of raising queen cells, I've just read, and re-read a Queen
rearing book by Vince Cook.  It seems like the best approach for the
sideliner.  It allows queen cell rearing without removing the queen and
without affecting honey production.  I plan to try it this week in North
Carolina, USA.  I have been waiting for normal populations of drones to ramp
up, because I can't find drone foundation.

Anyone have any experience with Vince Cook's method?

Randy Lynn
North Carolina, USA