From:
Steve Sweet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Oct 2015 08:09:10 -0600
"huge voice, but your audience sees your bias"

Contrary to the prior statement, there are many of us who value Oliver's
clarity and objectivity.  From this side, we see a cadre of people
advocating a Pollyanna-ish "No!" to any use of pesticides.  Rail as these
nay-sayers may against pesticide use of any sort, the consumer continues to
demand blemish-free fruit, tanker car loads of canola oil and bug-free
produce.  Until the consumer's insatiable demand for the appearance of
perfection diminishes to naught, farmers will continue to persist on the
landscape and produce for the masses.  Like it or not, insects will
continue to need to be managed.  As long as the world wants (needs?) to
eat, and bugs are alive, we're faced with a dilemma in pesticide use.  The
real issue is which poison(s) do we choose to do the job?

As for me, having started with bees in the early-'70's, I don't ever want
to return to the days where present-day neonic alternatives were applied
via wholesale field applications and aerial bombardment.  Yep, neonics kill
insects, including bees - because they're supposed to, for crying out
loud!  However, our only real, practical and responsible choice is for the
pesticides that do the job with the least impact on the environment,
including non-target species, such as our bees.

As far as those who are intent to impinge Oliver's integrity, you do
yourselves and your movement a huge disservice, when you're merely
satisfied to throw mud and see what sticks.  Repeating that oft-stated
mantra: "Show us the  science!"