From:
Medhat Nasr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 2010 16:26:56 -0700
Hi everyone:

Sorry, Just I was busy teaching a couple of q-rearing workshops and on the
road.

Oxalic acid:

1. I have not really tried that type of evaporizer. So, I can't make
comments on efficacy. Some of home made evaporizers can heat the oxalic
acid to a point that OA will be decomposed and become CO2 and H2O.

2. This type of evaporizer and Varroax produce passive OA vapor. This type
of vapor can't penetrate the cluster when the cluster is tight. This can
occur when ambient temperature is <5C.
3. Brood can effect efficacy.
4. The machine that we designed uses forced warm air (20C) that can
penetrate the cluster and expose bees to oxalic acid vapor. It is more
reliable.

5. Regarding safety. Please read the following paper:
http://www.agroscope.admin.ch/imkerei/00316/00329/02081/index.html?lang=en&download=NHzLpZeg7t,lnp6I0NTU042l2Z6ln1ad1IZn4Z2qZpnO2Yuq2Z6gpJCDeHt,gWym162epYbg2c_JjKbNoKSn6A--

For sure,  OA applicators should take precaution when applying oxalic
acid. We have many beekeepers using it and we have not had any reports
regarding safety.

medhat

Medhat Nasr, Ph. D.
Provincial Apiculturist
Crop Diversification Centre North

17507 Fort Road
Edmonton, AB, Canada T5Y 6H3
Tel: (780) 415-2314    Fax: (780) 422-6096
Mailto:[log in to unmask]