From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Sep 2009 07:40:17 -0700
Dear OllieMuffin-
You asked for the opinion of beekeepers and in response, I am pleased to
offer my opinion also.

In order to properly address the question of 'bees dying off', it is necessary to look at where they are 'supposed to be dying off'.  The recent documentary 'the last beekeeper' the documentary trailer states:

'Follow the lives of three commercial beekeepers over the course of one year as they struggle with Colony Collapse Disorder which threatens crops, the world food supply and the livelihoods of beekeepers.'

Where is the sideline commercial beekeeper, hobby beekeeper, homestead beekeeper or feral honeybee population addressed in the bees dying off thing?  Perhaps those making the documentary are focusing on the commercial segment because this is where the greatest stresses are placed on honeybees, and therefore, where the greatest honeybee mortality would likely exist.

I work with the leading pest control company in my area that is very pro bee.  I have the right to first refusal of all the bee referrals from this company.  The past three seasons, I have seen a dramatic increase in the number of bee calls for colony removals and swarm retrievals, with this current season being the best since as  far back as 1995.  So to sum up, look where bees are dying, you will find bees dying,  look where bees are thriving, you will find bees thriving.

Best Wishes,
Joe