From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jun 2013 22:42:12 -0400
> How are the nuc sales going, Aaron?
Well since you ask, when the final numbers came in this spring I sold
10 packages for every nuc.  The ratio could have been smaller but 1) I
decided to fill my deadouts with nucs rather than packages, 2) I had a
bad winter and had lots of deadouts to fill (a double whammy in that
there were fewer nucs set up and a smaller percentage of those were
offered for sale).

I find that more customers want nucs than packages.  As I said, that's
my preference.  As a teacher I present, "All things being equal, nucs
are a better choice."  But then I go on to present that all things are
NOT equal.  You need to learn to walk before you run.  I recommend
beginning beekeepers start with packages, the main reason being that
their skill level grows with their colony.  I encourage beginners to
examine their colonies weekly (bad advice for the bees but good advice
for someone who has not witnessed foundation being drawn, or seen
eggs/larvae/pupae (brood in all stages), and has yet to build a
comfort level and the confidence to work with an established
population of honey bees).  I would much rather see the quality nucs I
set up go to beekeepers who will competently bring the unit along to a
thriving colony.

So, "Why begin the hard way?"  I guess my answer is to learn the
ropes.  Yes, it's harder to nurture a package into a successful,
productive colony that will survive winter in the great white north
than it is to overwinter an established colony.  But buying in without
the skill set and experience may be construed (by some) as the hard
way.

How's cows Allen? ;-)

Cheers,
Aaron