Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 2009 09:36:44 -0400
>>  But this symptom is unique. If you haven't seen it, you probably aren't
>> looking at CCD... One caveat, this symptom may disappear in the summer
>> when bees are most active.

> Which seems to say that something else is at play here, since if it is the
> definitive marker it should be there no matter what... But then there is
> Peter's comment- "Sometimes the hive will just sit there empty of bees but
> with lots of stores, depite the presence of the other 95 hives in the
> apiary."which is for a non-CCD event, yet it is the definitive marker for
> CCD... As far as not seeing the definitive marker before, since the marker
> is not consistent, you can easily argue that CCD was in fact present and
> either not observed (since who was looking for it then?) or under
> conditions when it "may disappear".

Here, stated most baldly, is the real question we have been skating around.
This is the exact reason many of us, no matter how hard we try to believe,
have doubts about the CCD story.

Plainly, this one symptom, we are told, is the only unique marker and the
sine qua non -- except, apparently, when it isn't.  Sure sounds like
doubletalk.  We try to keep an open mind, but under any other circumstances
we would expect such statements to indicate a con.

Given, however the reputations and credentials of those investigating, and
the fact that they are our friends, we suspend our disbelief, pending
further evidence, which we are assured is forthcoming.

Nothing is ever as simple as it may seem, and it could very well be that
that which defies reason is exactly as reported.  In the meantime, we are
privy to the best information available, thanks to Jerry.

As for robbing, it is an odd and somewhat unpredictable phenomenon.
Inasmuch as it tends to provoke panic in beekeepers and bystanders, I am not
sure it has been studied very scientifically.

I personally have stacks of boxes with honey that the bees could have robbed
sitting within their reach for years with little interest while other boxes
and fresh honey spills are licked clean in moments.

The fact that other insects seem to leave the empty or weak hives alone is
interesting, too.

As for the summer effect, perhaps temperature or sunlight are factors that
reverse the effect.

We are keeping our minds open.