From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2017 21:27:26 -0400
> The act of beekeeping under the auspice that one is saving the bees is akin to domesticating nature, whereby natural processes are lost in exchange for a human benefit.

Ironically, many people think that nature is already under the management of humankind. It depends on how you define nature, of course.

There is little on the planet that can be described as truly natural, if you mean unaffected by human activity. On the other hand, if you include humans as a part of nature, dependent entirely upon nature, then nothing has changed.

Odd that the concepts are never defined in the course of these discussions. Instead, it is assumed that nature is universally recognized and understood.

Of course, most people agree that there is a distinction between natural and artificial. The problem is that we don't agree where the boundary lies.

PLB