From:
Alan Riach <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 07:56:12 +0000
There is no doubt that aggressive bees lead to aggressive neighbours and
both are to be avoided if possible.

Many queen breeders are doing a sterling job in producing non aggressive
bees, however the more I see of "isolated" colonies which have had very
little outside genetic material introduced over the years the more
convinced I am becoming that isolation naturally leads to quiet bees.
The continual introduction of new queens, which I accept is necessary in
commercial operations probably leads to "vigorous" behaviour, in defence
as in other characteristics.

The isolated village beekeeping of our forefathers was probably the
ideal scenario for the gradual production of genetically stable, non
aggressive colonies.

Alan Riach
Nr.Edinburgh-Scotland