From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 2010 22:27:24 -0500
> does a beehive that has a complete population change over a one year period need to be treated differently than other livestock ?

The population may turn over, but the chemicals are absorbed into the combs. So, the wax combs are equivalent to the fat of an animal, concentrating & storing contaminants. That is why many beekeepers are trying to turn over their combs on a regular basis. According to the latest thinking, culling about 1/3 of the combs per year is about right. That means everything is replaced every 3 years. Expensive, but if the payoff is healthier bees, it is worth trying.

The problem with organic farming (in the eyes of us middle of the roaders) is that it is based principally on an ideology. It is not science based nor does it rely on scientific evidence, nor any sort of testing. If you follow organic protocols, you are certified. If you don't, you are lumped in with the rest of modern farming which runs the gamut from very judicious pesticide use, to spray first ask questions later. I am very leery of ideology based food production and consumption.  JMHO.

plb