From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 1997 11:03:26 EDT
The discussion of width of hive opening has touched on ventillation,
which has also been discussed a bit on this list.  Vince Coppola
posted he's unable to notice a difference between solid and screened
bottom boards.  I'm wondering about slatted bottom racks.  Killion's
_Honey_in_the_Comb_ says they are REQUIRED EQUIPMENT, both to improve
ventillation and to give bees room to hang out in a crowded comb
honey production hive.  I've grown into the habit of using slatted
bottom racks on all my hives but have never done any "scientific"
studies to determine if they improve things for the bees.  Any opinions
or hard facts?  For those who are not familiar with slatted bottom
racks, they're a piece of equipment that goes on top of the bottom board.
They're the same size as an inner cover, but about 2 inches thicker.
The front end has a slat about 4 inches wide and then there are 13 3/4
inch slats spaced with 1/2 inch gaps between the slats.  Bees land on
the bottom board and get into the hive bodies through the gaps between
the slats.

This ventillation issue is funny to me.  Most books warn against drafts
(mainly a winter concern), yet it seems that more and more things are
leaning towards increased and improved ventillation.  Seems there is
a dichotomy here.  Perhaps the "best" hives are the old drafty ones!?

Anyway, any comments on slatted bottom racks?