Date:
Fri, 4 May 2018 10:35:51 -0400
> AFB is not contagious.  Deadly when caught. The spores have to be fed to
> the
> larvae.  Think Aids, the infected blood has to be contacted by the person.
>
> Drifting is not regarded as being of much importance, unless the drifting
> bees are themselves robbing an infected hive.  If infected honey is stored
> then it may be a long time before the hive will break down.  If extracted
> it
> may never be a problem if the honey is not heavily infected.

A friend of mine worked with another beekeeper pollinating blueberries. one
had AFB and the other's hives picked it up just during the time they were
jointly pollinating one field. What you say sounds good, but my experience
is to stay far away from any AFB infected hives.It does spread. It is
persistent.

My first hives were purchased from the wife of a beekeeper who had died. I
had the State Bee inspector check them out even though they had been given
a "clean bill of health" by an experienced beekeeper. Both had AFB so my
introduction to beekeeping was to burn all the two hives frames, and
chimney fire the boxes. I was then stuck with a suit, smoker, some well
charred boxes, and a hive tool. The widow reimbursed all but $25 so I
bought packages and everything else I needed and was on my way.

I sent the story of my experience to Kim F. who replied that it was too
discouraging to read for new beekeepers so did not publish it. But he did
publish every other article I sent it.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine