From:
Bob Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2013 07:56:09 -0500
On 9-Jan-13, at 5:28 PM, 25 Hives wrote:

> I've blundered into the conclusion that any region that qualifies
> as "organic" won't support a bee colony, and thus, there is no such
> thing as certified organic honey.

Hi Grant and all

I know three beekeepers in southern Ontario who jumped through the
hoops to become certified organic.  One of the hoops was certified
organic foundation had to be used.

The first, moved to an island in Lake Huron, imported varroa free
package bees from overseas that he picked up at the airport and
transported directly to his island.

The second was able to verify, to the certifier's satisfaction, that
his area contained no property owners who used forbidden chemicals
except a golf course where the only chemicals used were on the greens
where no flowering plants attractive to bees grew.  He has been
producing and selling certified organic honey for several years.

The third was also certified after waiting another year because one
of her neighbours had used a garden chemical two years previous.  She
sold her first certified organic honey in 2012, I think, or possibly
not until this year.

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada