Date:
Sun, 31 Jan 2010 18:59:52 GMT
From: allen <[log in to unmask]>

>Dunno.  Is sauerkraut more nutritious than cabbage?  Cheese than milk?  Is wine more nutritious than grape juice?  Are these even sensible questions?

allen, here is a "for instance".  interestingly, the microbe described here (aspergillus niger) is one of the causative agents of stonebrood.

note the protein content of fermented cassava increased almost 10 times...while the carbohydrate content decreased.

http://www.unu.edu/unupress/food/V184e/ch3.htm
"Traditional fermented protein-rich foods offer excellent opportunities for improving the diets of people in tropical countries. Various attempts have been made to increase the protein level of cassava-based products, particularly gari. Growth of the fungus Aspergillus niger for 24 to 30 hours on cassava flour with an initial content of 2% to 3% protein and 80% to 90% carbohydrate resulted in a product containing 18% to 20% protein and 30% to 35% carbohydrate [11]."

also, note that this all occurs in under 30 hours.  i would expect that trapped pollen (which has already started to ferment) continues to ferment while it sits in the pollen trap, and until it is frozen...and continues to ferment once thawed.  easily 30 hours under most conditions.

>Do you all see what I see in  relation to what we are discussing, not to mention the topic of the actual talk?

i don't know the topic of the talk, and i would have to know more to draw any conclusions.  ie, i assume the "fresh pollen" is trapped (ie, already partially fermented).  also, are the bees in the almonds being treated?  being fed pollen sub?  sugar or hfcs?  are there treatments on the almond trees?

as we saw from some of the work out of penn state, the trapped pollen had high levels of in hive miticides...so we can (i think) conclude that the bees are contaminating the collected pollen with in hive treatments, even when the pollen has never been in the hive.  it would be expected that in hive treatments could effect the fermentation of both stored and trapped pollen, which, if i'm reading the charts correctly, could explain what is shown in the slide.

deknow