From:
Robert Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 1998 11:39:35 +0800
----------
> From: Teresa Garcma <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: irradiation of hives
> Date: Saturday, 7 February 1998 0:06
>
> Robert,
>
> Could you please explain a little bit more about this irradiation
> technique? With what do you irradiate? Is it not dangerous for the
> person who does it? Is it done "All over" Australia"? and please, just
> out of curiosity, what part of Australia are you from?
>
> Tere

The irradiation method used is the same as that used to sterilise items
such as disposable surgical gloves, saline solutions for drips, condoms
etc.

The type of irradiation is the use of gamma rays emitted from radioactive
cobalt I think. The dose rate (level of radiation) is measured and
accurate.

The irradiation is carried out by fully qualified persons in registered
facilities. Their is no danger to the beekeeper or consumer of product from
irradiated eqipment. The only honey permitted for irradiation is that which
is to be used in the making of queen candy and only fed to bees. No food of
any type for human consumption is permitted to be irradiated under
Australian food regulations.

The only facility for irradiation in NSW is located in Sydney.

I live in Bathurst NSW. It is a city of around 30000 people situated in the
Central Tablelands district of New South Wales. We have a cool to temperate
climate. It is the oldest inland settlement of NSW and has a history of
goldmining and agriculture. Touring car racing enthusiasts will be familiar
with our world famous race track on Mt. Panorama which overlooks the city.

The area is excellent for beekeeping (although not this year due to
drought). We produce some high quality honeys from ground flora, canola and
eucalypts.

Good breeding conditions also make the district a favoured location for
package and queen producers exporting to Asia, Canada, Europe and the
Middle East.

Regards

Rob Bowman.