From:
Vince Coppola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 23:29:10 -0700
Conrad Sigona wrote:

> One frame has a small patch (15-20 square inches) of cells containing
> multiple eggs (2-4). The hive has a queen; she lays lots of seemingly
> normal eggs in seemingly normal cells; there is no sign of her failing
> nor of supercedure.
>
> Is she laying the multiple eggs or is there a laying worker in there
> with her?
>
> Facts that may help you form an opinion:
> - The hive came from a 3lb. package (7 weeks ago).
> - The packaged queen, after leaving her cage, disappeared. Eggs were
>   never laid.
> - I gave them a frame of eggs from which they raised the queen (6 weeks ago).
> - Queen is 1 month old.
> - There aren't many bees (about three frames worth). I'm not worried about
>   this since the queen is still relatively new.

Hi Conrad,
        Their population is down because no replacements have emerged. In about
1 or 1 1/2 weeks new bees will emerge and the population will rise. I
hope there is enough time to get them into wintering condition. I have
seen the muti egg/droping egg thing in mating nucs. These queens are
usually superceded, I think they are defective. As I have mentioned
before, forcing bees to raise emergency cells is a poor way to raise
queens. I would get a new one ASAP.
        I read your second post too. Its normal for pakage bees to get weaker
before they get stronger. Removing those eggs may have delayed the
upswing. If these colonies don't improve by late Aug. you might consider
uniting them.