From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 13:09:01 -0400
Andrew Dubas questions the durability of plastic hives.

Plastic hives are used extensively in Western Europe, generally without
difficulty.  However, their summers are not nearly as hot, nor their winters
as cold, as in the northern part of the US.  In addition, in Europe wood is
expensive and here it is inexpensive (by comparison).

During the oil crisis of 74-75 (?) Kelley developed molds and made hives as
well as supers.  They were expensive, not well accepted by beekeepers, and
some said they warped.  They no longer make them, but still make plastic
outer covers and bottom boards.  I am certain Kelley would share their
experiences with you (502-242-2012).

Technically, there is no reason that plastic hives cannot be made that would
be superior in performance to wood.  Moreover, if they were made in the
millions they would be inexpensive; but perhaps not less expensive then
wood.  Knowing beekeepers as I do, I do not expect to see plastic hives
unless the price of wood more than doubles.

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner, Ross Rounds, Inc.  The finest in comb honey production.
www.rossrounds.com