From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 23:04:25 -0600
> There has been a number of posts deriding FGMO, but I firmly believe
> it has promise, but needs a well regimented approach to it's use.

I agree.  Since list members are probably wondering what the other side of
recent reports on FGMO might be, Dr Rodriguez recently sent me a note from which
I'll quote excerpts:

(begin quote)

"...Some of the Bee-L subscribers have written to me and forwarded comments that
have been  posted on Bee-L; some pro and some con.  Of particular interest is
the fact that some of these indicate that I have given up my research  with
FGMO. I have never given that indication to anyone.
<snip>

I know only of two people (in two different U.S. Universities) who are formally
attempting to duplicate my work and their results are not out yet!...
<snip>

Concerning FGMO, our work is still going strong. <snip> I now have two
associates who are very much involved with my work who have proven to be very
valuable because the work load was far too much for one person alone, I was
spending half of my retirement pay on my research, and to add credibility to the
findings.

I realized from the outset that I (and so stated) would need to find a cost
effective method in order for FGMO to be useful for ALL beekeepers. I have been
working with an FGMO emulsion application (in addition to fgmo fog) that is
working like a charm as I will publish soon.

I am now gathering my final data. Don't discount me because you don't hear from
me. My co-workers and I are very much involved with FGMO...
<snip>

It has been clear from the outset that we are working for the benefit of honey
bees in particular and humanity in general.

As I have said many times before, time will tell."

(end of quote)

We all hope that something definite will come from this work.  At this point,
the treatment is still experimental.  Those who experiment with FMGO before a
final method is released by Dr. Rodriguez, and proven by others as well, must
keep in mind that it is essential to monitor results and consider alternative
methods if FGMO efforts appear to be failing.

I have not yet personally tried FGMO, but am watching developments with
interest.  As those who read BEE-L may have noted, my son and I have recently
been conducting some comparisons of natural mite fall with Apistan (R) and
formic pads' knockdown results in several yards, and the results have not been
at all what we expected. So far, my only conclusion is that the mite load can
vary fairly widely in one beeyard, and that one must measure, and not guess --
or trust that any treatment is functioning.

allen

-----
See if your questions have been answered in over a decade of discussions.
BEE-L archives & more: http://listserv.albany.edu/archives/bee-l.html
Search sci.agriculture.beekeeping at http://www.deja.com/
or visit http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee to access both on the same page.