From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 08:34:02 -0400
[log in to unmask] wrote:
Subject: Re: GM Bees "BUT what if this trait is not present in the bee
genome - and this is the crux of the matter, what then?"

Most assuredly, the genes are out there.

I just purchased a SMR Carniolan Queen from Glenn Apiaries which came with a
very informative write up on John Harbo's work.  I have not found the exact
prose on Glenn's web page http://member.aol.com/queenb95/index.html but I
suspect if one digs deep enough they'll find it.

Bob's response was sufficient, there have been bees bred to be resistent to
AFB and chalkbrood, and with concerted effort bees can be selected for any
number of traits.

But getting back to SMR and Glenn Apiaries' write up thereof, the reasons
why bees exhibit SMR (Suppressive Mite Reproduction) are not known.
However, it is assumed to be an additive effect.  That is, there is no
single gene credited to SMR, rather, it is attributed to an additive effect
of a number of genes.  Hence the SMR trait can be passed on to subsequent
generations of open mated queens, even if some of the genes that contribute
to SMR get suppressed int he next generation.  The suppression of mite
reproduction may not be as dramatic if some of the contributing genes
regress, but there will still be better results than there would be starting
from breeding stock with no SMR atrtibutes at all.  In currently available
SMR stock the additive effects have been selected as breeding criteria and
continued effort will be needed to keep whatever is the combination from
slipping back into a wild gene pool.  The genes most assuredly are there and
efforts can be successful to cultivate the combination to produce bees that
suppress 100% of mite reproduction in worker brood (Vaddor d. still
reproduces in SMR drones).

Bob says it'll take at least 2 years to convince him that SMR really exists.
The first time I heard Harbo hypothesize that the SMR trait is out there was
perhaps 1995.  John already has his 2 years of data plus a few years more.
I'm sold that SMR exists and rue the funds I spent on open bottom boards and
drone frames/foundation.

As far as tinkering with genes to produce bees to resist varroa, I've got to
agree with Bob that it's not necessary to tinker with genes when the desired
results can be achieved through selective breeding.  I think it a bit scary
that people are so anxious to go the GMO route when it remains to be seen
what will be the effects of the current experiment released upon us.  What
the hey, Pandora's box is already open, let's open it a little more.....

Aaron Morris - thinking better bees through better breeding!