From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 18:16:43 -0700
"W. Allen Dick" wrote:

> ...... but I do seem to
> recall that the feral bees in many areas of North America (and Hawaii as
> well) were known to be smaller and meaner than the bees that were
> introduced as the century progressed.
>
> Maybe someone else has researched this or recalls from reading?

Somebody's theory - sorry I forgot the name - Russian ?? - from the early 1900s
maintains that many insects within a species naturally vary in regard to the
latitude where they are found (and adapted). This fits the size and shape of
the AHB from tropical Africa, as I remember. He is usually quoted in relation
to body size, wing length, and leg length. I will ask around here tomorrow -
I'm sure Hayward Spangler knows the reference.
John F. Edwards
Carl Hayden Bee Research Center
Agricultural Research Service - USDA
Tucson, Arizona 85719