Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2013 18:49:48 -0500
Seeking advice as to the best way to prune my vine, I consulted
'Practical Pruning' by J.W.Morton and revised in 1947 by G.H Cropley.
Quoting from the very last paragraph of the slim volume: " At the
moment of publication the insecticide D.D.T.
(Di-chlor-Diphenyl-Trichlorethane) is becoming available. So little of
an authoritative character is known about it that it would be unwise to
make any definite pronouncement. There seems to be evidence, however,
that it will prove effective in the control of Apple Blossom Weevil, an
enemy that has hitherto baffled all and sundry. There is also evidence
that the application of D.D.T. in the orchard will have to be very
carefully worked out, owing to its adverse effect on the honey bee."

That was written 15 years before Rachael  Carson's 'Silent Spring'.
Had the proper precautionary principle been followed at the time,
none of us would have our bodies still, after all this time,
contaminated with DDT.

Now we are faced with neo-nicotinoid insecticides which are possibly
equally dangerous to the pollinating insects on which much of our food
supply depends.  They are known to be persistent. Many of them are
applied as seed dressings whence they make their way through the whole
plant, including the nectar, pollen and guttation fluid that honeybees
and other insects sup, but also the food products that we all eat.

Until proper, thorough and independent research has been done it would
be wise to abandon the use of neonicotiniods.

Chris