From:
Adam Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Nov 2016 07:01:02 -0500

> PLEASE, ALL POSTERS, EXPLAIN TO ME WHY THAT BAGGAGE IS NECESSARY.  This is
> not Beesource, I keep the bar high, why do posters resist?  Is my guideline
> to minimize quotes unreasonable?

> Excessive quote responses​ average around a dozen (or more) a week

> A lot of good

content gets lost in the exchange.

In the past, when email lists/groups were more common, connections speeds
were slow and storage expensive, it was considered good etiquette to strip
down quotes - at least to down to the one last one you were actually
replying to.  It also saved a lot of scrolling in older email clients.

These days, these sort of groups are much less common and the etiquette has
been mostly been mostly lost.  I do think there is probably an argument to
be made that it also not really necessary.  Pretty much all email clients
hide the quoted emails, headers, etc.  This is especially true on mobile
devices.  Cutting/pasting, formatting and stripping out text is a pain.  It
is an even bigger pain to go back and find an email that you sent box on a
mobile device, strip out both your text and the text that you were
responding to and resend.  I forget sometimes and often just don't bother
to resubmit.

If a dozen posts a week are being rejected for this reason and many of them
aren't resubmitted, or if a large percentage of people never repost after
having their first post rejected, you have to ask - is this requirement
worth content that is lost?

Beekeeping skills and computers don't always go hand in hand.  I know at
least a couple of beekeepers who the fastest way to reach them is to mail
them a letter.  They are never home to answer the phone, and if they have
email it gets checked once a month.  The rules may to be too big a barrier
for some and the list loses out as a result.

Adam
Barrie, ON