From:
Justin Kay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Oct 2017 10:09:11 -0400

> What bothers me in particular is the implication that running small,
> frequently swarming colonies spaced widely throughout the landscape is our
> *only* solution.
>
> I don't believe he's ever made that statement.

I listened to him speak at EAS this year on Darwinean Beekeeping. He
presented (in the same way he has in at least two articles in ABJ now) his
methods regarding smaller colony size, larger spacing between colonies,
high swarming, localized genetics, and no treatments. But he prefaced this
all by stating this method would NOT work for everyone. He made it very
clear that commercial or sideline beekeepers couldn't take this system, as
the decreased honey production and increased land use requirements coupled
with smaller populations ran counter to what most needed. But he made it
clear that the backyard or hobby beekeeper probably could use these
methods. Not that they needed to, but if they wanted to they could mimic
what was working in the wild forests.