Date:
Wed, 7 May 1997 10:27:05 GMT+0200
 Ted wrote concerning bees eating brood:

> Well, this is all very interesting.  I have personally never seen
> this in 35 years among the bees, although I have often seen brood,
> especially drone brood, pulled out of the hive.  I was taught that
> one of the major dietary differences between bees and other
> hymenoptera is that bees get their protein solely from pollen
> whereas wasps, etc., get it from a variety of sources, but
> especially animal (i.e., insect) body parts.  I have also seen bees
> in early spring try to collect anything that resembles pollen, even
> if it is not.  Thus they are pests around cattle feed lots where
> ground wheat and oats is fed.  They seem to go to great lengths to
> try getting pollen.  If they could merely cannibalize their own
> brood, why would they be out looking for anything that is
> pollen-like?
>
> I would be interested in any research that Furgala has actually
> published on this subject.  Does anyone have any information?
>
> Ted Fischer
> Dexter, Michigan USA

I have seen bees eat brood, when, after removing a feral hive I
placed a sheet of removed brood, that got chilled in with the removed
bees in their new hive. I gather they ate the chilled brood, and used
it to start new egg laying, as I now see capped brood in the hive.

They were definitely eating the brood, as I watched them do this, No
bits  of bees were dragged out the front as I have usually observed.

Keep well

Garth

---
Garth Cambray       "Opinions expressed in this post may be those
15 Park Road         of Pritz, my cat, who knows a lot about
Grahamstown          catfood."
South Africa               Phone 27-0461-311663

In general, generalisations are bad.
But don't worry BEEEEEE happy.