From:
Brian Tamboline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 2017 22:45:49 -0400
I have made some efforts to plant pollinator friendly gardens and to leave significant portions of my property in a 'wild' state.
 I find that all of my plantings are visited exclusively by natives, with the exception of the month of April. At that time, I have several thousand Scilla siberica in bloom, and it is the only time I see honeys in my garden beds. The only other exception I see is when the Crataegeus ( Hawthorne) are in bloom. At that bloom all the Hymenoptera are engaged; wasps, hornets, honeys, mason bees, etc.. All working beside each other and no apparent hostile interactions. Its fun to watch.
The fallow or wild part of the property is almost exclusively the domain of the native bees. Occasionally there will be a honey on a wild rose.
I am supporting all the natives with my plantings, in general, and the honeys are out on the clovers and roadside weeds.  Since most of the weeds are from 'off-shore', as are the honeys, maybe there is a nice symmetry there? Just a thought.
Brian