From:
Almer's Apiary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Nov 2007 13:22:12 -0600
Referenced statement from an earlier post:
"Small hive beetle is definitely moved around by migratory beekeepers, as
well as by the sale of packages and nucs. Nosema ceranae, on the other hand,
could have been spread by the distribution of queen bees.
Seriously, does anyone really think that by stopping the movement of bees,
that these problems will go away?"

*************************
Alabama has closed boarders relative to the inward movement of honeybees on
the comb.  We lag the four surrounding states by years on occurrences of new
disease and other honeybee pest.   We expected the Small Hive Beetle to move
in from all sides and converge somewhere near the center.  However, our
first occurrence of SHB was quiet close to the center of the state.
Alabama A&M University upon researching this phenomenon found that all new
occurrences were near truck stops.  It seems that no state is allowed to
stop interstate transport on federal highways.

I offer this information as a point of reference regarding the movement of
honeybees and it's relationship to the spread of diseases.  I can only
conclude that the free movement of honeybee colonies does expedite the
spread of honeybee problems.

I do not wish to enter discussion as to whether or not a state should have
the right to close boarders however in 2000, as president of the Alabama
Beekeepers Association I did make several trips to our state capitol and did
address the Alabama Legislature and convince them NOT to resend the "closed
boarder" law.

Bob Fanning
North Alabama USA