From:
Mike Pheysey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 1997 14:30:00 +0100
I agree with Betty McAdam on the use of old brood combs to attract
swarms.  I placed five such frames into a bait hive on the roof of my
garage one evening.  My wife phoned me at work the next day around
1pm to say that there were "an awful lot of bees flying around the
front garden"!  I peered in that evening and all five frames were
covered.  I quickly made up some new frames with foundation and put
them in to fill the remaining space.  Less than 12 hours to find and
move into a new home, some kind of record?  I reckon it was a cast as
I've only now found eggs, 18 days later.  The first two weeks were
pretty grim weather wise and they hogged down 6kgs of 1:1 sugar syrup.

Cheers, Mike.
Bristol UK, 100 miles west of London.