From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 10:35:58 -0400
With regard to selling some premium basswood honey, Karen said "Our average
farm stand customer is not educated to the merits of one kind of honey over
another."

Karen, Basswood normally sells at a good premium.  In a normal year
wholesale buyers would fall over themselves to buy it in 5 gallon buckets
(60 pounds).  However, this year there was probably a record yield so I
doubt that wholesale prices will be much higher than for wildflower.

Regardless, you really should try to sell retail at your stand.  Try a label
that says "Basswood" and (if it is true), Raw and Unfiltered.  I think you
would be surprised at the sophistication of your customers.  If you can, put
jars of it in a location where they will be back lighted by natural
daylight.  It shows wonderfully.  Finally, the contrast with some nearby
jars of "wildflower" will be especially striking.

I bet you could sell 160 pounds between now and Columbus Day!

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner, Ross Rounds, Inc.  The finest in comb honey production.
www.rossrounds.com