From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2013 23:21:34 -0500
I agree that Dee and beekeepers in rural parts of many western states would
 test for little or NO pesticides, but there are other ag chemicals and
industrial pollutants that can enter in.  I've never found a beehive  anywhere
that I couldn't document a fair number of less than 'organic'  residues.
One of the worst are heavy metals in areas where ORGANIC gardens
proliferated in the 60s.  Many bought vacant lots and abandoned factory  areas - cheap
land.  And then used lots of composted materials, which often  tend to
concentrate heavy metals.

I can normally find anywhere from 200-220 volatile and semi-volatile
chemicals in any bee colony, including everything from 'natural' chemicals like
terpenes from  trees and shrubs to industrial solvent and the BTEX
breakdown products of gasoline and diesel.  So it all depends on what  analyses you
run, what you are looking for.

Jerry