From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 1996 11:40:47 -0600
> >slubgum/goo adhering to bottom which can be cut off. Cooked but not
> >unpleasantly scorched honey at bottom which can be fine-filtered.
> >It's a bit tricky to get the wax cake out of the can, but subtle
> >rolling of the rim with palms of hands frees it, and it can be
> >nudged out over a receptacle to collect the honey. I fed the honey
> >back to the bees
>
> This in my opinion is the fastest way to feed your bees dysentry! I
> never feed cooked or heated honey back to my bees, the only time I
> did was the worst case of brown drippings I have ever seen.

David is very right about this.  Heating causes HMF in honey -- which
apparently destroys the bees digestive system.

HMF was (reportedly) a named cause  in the major losses experienced
in a number of outfits in Western Canada last winter.  These losses
were attributed to feeding of substandard HFCS (high HMF) last fall .

FWIW, I really don't recommend feeding back *any* honey that is not still
in the comb.  Some kinds of honey seem to develop characteristics
 after extracting that result in inferior bees when  fed back.

(That notwithstanding, Beaverlodge researches used nothing but
diluted extracted honey for feeding in place of sugar syrup (due to
budget problems)  when they did their research on comb building
after the flow.  In that case, it worked well).   I realise that many
recommend feeding back honey and have great success.

Just bee careful.

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>