From:
Marcia Sinclair <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 1996 10:29:16 -0800
At 08:06 PM 11/11/96 -0500, you wrote:
>The city of Pompano Beach Florida has an ordinance against a whole
>host of agricultural uses, including beehives.  Mr. Michael
>Rudunick of that city wishes to change the law from no beehives to
>a few.  Seems the city fathers are tradtionalists in the urban
>scene and not amenable to change.  What tactics can Mr. Rudunick
>used to convince the city council to amend the ordinance?
>
>There used to be little evidence one could point to of the
>usefulness of honey bee activity.  Now that the word is out that
>bees are scarce and as a consequence, home gardeners are berefit of
>pollinating activities, perhaps this will add to Mr. Rudunick's
>case.  I know Murray Loring wrote an update of his book, Bees and
>the Law some time back, but I don't have a copy.
>
>I sent Mr. Rudunick a copy of my fact sheet on good neighbor
>guidelines and ordinances.  It has a model ordinance which might be
>of use, but he needs more ammunition.
>
>Tom Sanford

Some local lobbying--letter writing or phone calls--is sure to influence the
actions of elected officials. Is there a local garden club? Horticulturists
association? A home orchard club? Federal, state or private consulting
ecologists and botanists? Neighborhood associations? Do local school kids
eat Honey Nut Cherios?